- Education through The Emanuel Religious School
- Family programs for adults and children to participate together
- Shabbat service participation
- Individual coaching from Hazzan Cohn, Rabbi Small, and Ritual Director Moshe Pinchover
- Group B’nai Mitzvah classes designed to prepare and challenge students and while promoting group spirit
- Opportunities based on student ability, such as: reading Torah, chanting Haftarah, leading prayers, and composing an original Torah portion presentation
A Tikkun Olam (Repair the World) project:
For ideas on how to begin planning a tikkun olam project, download our B’nai Mitzvah Magic Booklet
We greatly appreciate the role of a non-Jewish partner in supporting his or her child’s Jewish education, and afford them full access to synagogue resources so they may hold a significant role in the Bar/Bat Mitzvah ceremony. To become a Bar/Bat Mitzvah at The Emanuel, children must have a Jewish mother or have had a traditional conversion. Consult with Rabbi Small to answer any questions about the conversion.
B’nai Mitzvah dates are given out 2-3 years in advance. Special date requests must be made in writing to Hazzan Cohn.
For more details, download our B’NAI MITZVAH FAMILY GUIDE – 2017 update
CONTACT: Hazzan Sanford Cohn (for Bar/Bat Mitzvah dates, lessons and family participation in the service), Email (860) 236-1275,
Rabbi David Small (for D’var Torah and other concerns), Email, (860) 236-1275.