March 15- TGIS: We will meet at the Emanuel for Friday Night Services followed by a dinner at a location tba.
April 6- Iron Chef Night: This event highly anticipated event will consist of a 3 course meal where USYers will work in teams to make the most delicious and creative meal. USYers will get to create their own pizza with an ice cream desert in the form of the team’s best ice cream sculpture. If you love food this event is for you.
April 20- Lounge Night: We will meet at the Emanuel for a movie and snacks.
If you are interested in finding out more, be sure to check us out on Facebook.
Emanuel USY (EmUSY) has once again been named Chapter of the Year by the Hanefesh/CT Valley Region of United Synagogue Youth (USY) and has been nominated for International Chapter of the Year. We are affiliated with the United Synagogues of Conservative Judaism. We strive to be a vibrant, national leader offering our members a wide array of meaningful religious, social & educational programming throughout the year.
The Emanuel Synagogue chapter of United Synagogue Youth (USY) was Regional Chapter of the 2011-2012 USY year. Individual teens are leaders in the Region and have won regional and national awards. USY’ers are role models for our KadimaThe Jewish youth group for 5th - 8th graders in Conservative Synagogues. middle-schoolers.
- Social justice
- USY Shabbat(pl. Shabbatot) – The seventh day (Saturday). According to the TorahLiterally the first 5 books of the Bible also known as Humash, the Pentateuch or The Five Books of Moses. The word Torah is also used to refer to all of Jewish learning., God created the world in six days and rested on the seventh day. Therefore, we are commanded to rest on the seventh day.
- Teen High Holy Day services
- USY Encampment
- Israel Pilgrimage
- USY on Wheels
- International Convention
- Just plain fun!
USY Shelanu (for Students with Special Needs Ages 12 – 21)
USY Shelanu, meaning Our USY, is the first Conservative Movement Jewish youth group serving this population in Connecticut. Current sponsors of this initiative are The Emanuel Synagogue, Beth El Temple and JTConnect. Nancy Fichman, a member of The Emanuel Religious School special needs team is the advisor.
CONTACT Nancy Fichman, (860) 233-2774, moc.loanull@rtohcifn.
Kadima: A youth group for Grades 6, 7, and 8
Kadima is an international youth organization under the auspices of the United Synagogues of Conservative Judaism. Its purpose is to involve
Jewish pre-teens in a meaningful relationship with Judaism in a positive environment that is educational, religious, and social.
Our Kadima middle-schoolers will:
- Socialize with their Jewish peers.
- Take a responsible role in synagogue life.
- Participate in various mitzvah(pl. Mitzvot) – Those things which God commands us, as Jews, to do. projects.
- Join in a wide array of activities, including trips, social justice projects, and sports. Some favorites are Rock “n” Bowl, Laser Tag, and dances.
- On a regional level, Kadima members may attend overnights, dances, and other events with other Kadimaniks from throughout Connecticut and Western Massachusetts.
We welcome you to join us!
CONTACT Alina Bricklin-Goldstein,
Advisor, (860)233-2774, gro.eugoganysleunamenull@loohcs
Camp Ramah, located in Palmer, Massachusetts, offers an exciting summer filled with athletics, art, water sports and more in a vibrant and welcoming Jewish atmosphere to entering 4th through 11th graders. Click this logo to learn more about the Ramah experience