We are Inclusive
The Emanuel Synagogue welcomes people of all backgrounds. We fully support the participation of families who nourish Jewish identity in their children.
Intermarried Emanuel clergy and congregants greatly appreciate the role of the spouses and partners of different backgrounds in encouraging his or her child’s Jewish identity.
- A parent of a different background enjoys an active role in life cycle events and has full access to all synagogue programs as well as pastoral support and personal attention from our clergy.
- Spouses and partners of different backgrounds are warmly included in the synagogue family.
- We welcome all school-age children to be nourished by our religious school. To become a Bar/Bat Mitzvah(pl. Mitzvot) – Those things which God commands us, as Jews, to do.The age at which a Jew is considered an adult in terms of religious responsibility. Bar refers to boys and Bat to girls. Bar/Bat Mitzvah is also often used to describe the service at which a young person celebrates becoming Bar/Bat Mitzvah. at The Emanuel, the children must have a Jewish mother or have had a traditional conversion. RabbiThe spiritual leader of the synagogue. Small welcomes discussion about conversion.
- Adult children, grandchildren and descendants of intermarried families will feel welcome here.
Singles and single parent families Our synagogue community includes many singles both with and without children. Singles are an integral part of our community.
LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning) Friendly We welcome all people regardless of their sexual orientation. Click here for our statement on equality in synagogue life.
Physically challenged The physically challenged find inclusion and access at the Emanuel Synagogue.
- Our main entrances feature power doors.
- The main sanctuary offers space in the pews for people in wheelchairs.
- There is a permanent access ramp to our bimahThe raised platform in the front of the sanctuary where those leading the service stand..
- We offer restroom access sensitive for those with physical challenges.
- Headsets are available for the hearing impaired.
- Large print prayer books are always available.
- Service animals are welcomed along with their humans.