Visit our booth at Celebrate West Hartford
Sunday, June 5, 2016
12:00pm – 6:00pm
This is a wonderful annual opportunity to introduce the community to our vibrant shul. We will have a lively Emanuel tent â€“come join us! If you can, please notify us that you will volunteer one hour of your time to greet folks at our booth! Contact Lisa Levy email@example.com or the synagogue office at 860-236-1275. For further details, see www.celebratewesthartford.com
Start saving your gently used items for our Summer Tag Sale.
We will begin accepting items on June 27th.
The Sale will begin o July 24th.
Last year we were most fortunate to receive items from non-members. So if you have a friend or neighbor planning to move, please let them know about our sale. Watch the e-blast and website for more details. Email me with any questions. Joanne Pasternack Sauljo66@aol.com.
Selling Chametz: The Torah instructs that in observing Pesach all leaven must be removed from oneâ€™s home or destroyed. To protect against excessive waste and financial hardship, the Rabbis permit the individual to sell oneâ€™s chametz to a non-Jew until Passover is complete. It is traditional at that time to make a contribution to the Maot Hittim, the Passover Fund, which helps needy Jews purchase the necessities to celebrate Pesach. To arrange for the sale of your chametz, please see Rabbi Small or Mr. Pinchover in person, or submit this declaration to the Emanuel office by noon, Friday April 22, 2016.
It’s a mitzvah to light candles. We do it on Shabbat, and holidays. The Emanuel synagogue now enables you to do a double mitzvah:Â light candles and use candles made from clean burning, renewable, American soy wax.Â Soy candles are clean burning, do not drip and fit any candlestick. Combine the mitzvah of lighting candles with the mitzvah of helping preserve the planet. Switch to soy !
Eco-friendly soy candles are available at the newly reopened Emanuel Gift Shop. The starter set includes 12 candles and two glass converters for $10. The converters fit easily into any standard candle sticks and are reusable indefinitely. Candle refills are available $6 for 12 candles or $28 for 60 candles.
West Hartford: The Emanuel Synagogue is chosen, along with twelve other leading Jewish congregations in the country, to participate in the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism (USCJ) Ruderman Inclusion Action Community, a new leadership initiative to fully allow people with disabilities and their families to participate comfortably in thriving congregational life. Ira Henowitz, Emanuel Synagogue President, said â€œwe are excited to participate in this new opportunity to continue building on our strong core belief of inclusion and accessibility for all who wish to experience our ninety-six year young, purpose driven, multi-generational center of Jewish life. We very much appreciate United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism for launching this initiative and thank the Ruderman Family Foundation for providing the generous grant to make this all possible.â€ Â (more…)
Sponsored by the Magalhaes and Wu families
Friday, February 19, 2016
Services at 5:15pm
Shabbat Dinner at 6:15pm
All invited. No cost.
Click here to RSVP online by Friday, FebruaryÂ 12, 2016 Â so we know how much food to have.
If you are interested in sponsoring a Shabbat dinner, contact the synagogue office!
Studying the Book of Hosea, a weekly series with Rabbi Lazowski
Tuesdays November 3 Â to December 1
At the offices of Laz Parking, 15 Lewis Street on the 5th floor (Free lunch. Parking in the Trumbull on the Park garage will be validated. The entrance is Â at about 88 Trumbull St. near Salute Restaurant and is right down the block from the LazÂ office.)
Coffee and Lunch will be served.
Please RSVPÂ firstname.lastname@example.org, 860-233-2774
Donâ€™t miss this wonderful learning opportunity! Â (more…)
Emanuel Connections invites you and your family to Emanuelâ€™s 2nd AnnualÂ Backyard Bash
Thursday, May 28th
Fun for Everyoneâ€¦
DJ, Inflatables, Gaga Pit and more!!!!!!!!!!
Pizza & Refreshments
$10.00/family in advance
$15.00/family at the door
RSVP by: May 21st by calling 860-236-1275 or click here to register online now.
“Not a race, but a meaningful ride for all”
All proceeds to benefit the Tikvah Program at Camp Ramah in Palmer, Massachusetts. The Tikvah program (“tikvah” means hope) serves Jewish children with physical and cognitive disabilities.
Sunday, May 31, 2015
Three rides to choose from! (20, 35 or 50 mile rides)
8:00 a.m. for 50 mile ride 9:00 a.m. for 35 mile ride 10:00 a.m.for 20 mile ride
Please arrive 30 minutes prior to start time for registration and refreshments
For the experienced cyclist, the occasional rider, or a mitzvah-minded teen, ride with us on West Hartford’s quiet residential streets, through Simsbury’s beautiful suburban neighborhoods and along Granby’s delightful back roads.
All rides start and end at Beth El Temple, 2626 Albany Avenue, West Hartford, CT.
Register at tourdeshulsct.org. Contact Jeff Factor at (860) 916-0273 with any questions.
Save the date!
WampanoagÂ Country Club
Tuesday, June 23. 2015
Lunch and Dinner
Golf, Cart, Driving Range
$180 per golfer.
Hole in One prizeÂ 2015 Lexus NX
Celebrity Host is the voice of UConn, Joe D’Ambrosia
Contact Mark Wolfberg at email@example.com or Call Mark at 860-655-5337 Ask about Sponsor packages
Pesach begins with the First Seder, Friday night, April 3rd, 2015. It is time to get ready! We not only prepare our homes; we prepare ourselves. In the spirit of Pesach preparation, here is a helpful â€œto do listâ€:
1. Passover Fund: Make a donation to aid the hungry prior to Pesach. There is a strong Jewish tradition of giving Maot Hittim to provide food and assistance to those in need. Please join us in this important mitzvah. Please support the hungry even if you are not selling your chametz. Your contribution is needed and appreciated. To give online click on the “Donate” box to the right.Â Â Be sure to check other and put “Passover Fund” as where your want this donation to go.
2. Selling of Hametz: To empower me to sell your hametz, mail or bring the Â form to the Emanuel office by Thursday, April 2nd, or see me or Moshe Pinchover after minyan.Â Click here to download a Passover Selling Chametz Declaration.docx
3. House cleaning and searching out Hametz (leaven): It is appropriate to complete this process by Thursday evening, April 2nd. Search for Hametz Kits are available in the Religious School office and the Synagogue office. While you are cleaning out your cupboards, please think of donating non-perishable food items to the needy. Bring your contributions to the synagogue office by Thursday April 2nd. The Bâ€™Yadeynu Committee will distribute the donations.
4. Burning of Hametz: This symbolic burning of a few bits of hametz may be done (with precautions) at home, but please be aware that a small fire will be maintained for this purpose in the Emanuel parking lot on Friday, April 3rd , from 8:00 a.m. to 9:15 a.m.
5. Siyum Bâ€™Chor: Firstborn Jews fast on the day before Pesach or attend a siyyum, a celebration of the completion of a unit of Torah study. A siyyum will be held on Friday, April 3rd , at the conclusion of morning Minyan. Minyan begins at 7:00 a.m. The Siyyum ends at 8:00 a.m. and is followed by breakfast.
6. Seder Guests: Welcoming guests to the seder is a great mitzvah. Please contact Gail Rappoport firstname.lastname@example.org if you have room at your seder table for a guest/guests, or if you need an invitation for a seder/sedarim. We will do our discreet best to match hosts and guests.
7. Please note: that evening minyan will not meet on April 3rd and April 4th. A special Mincha service will meet at 12:30 pm, on those days. We encourage you to hold minyan at your seders. If you need to borrow siddurim, please contact Mr. Moshe Pinchover at email@example.com.
8. Vote MERCAZ in the World Zionist Congress Elections!Â Click here to vote now!
Sponsors (as of 2/6/15): B’Yadeynu, The Emanuel Synagogue Social Action Committee, The Conference of Churches, JCPA, JCRCs of Jewish Federations of Greater Hartford and New Haven and MAZON.
Join us for a retelling of the Passover story and a call to action to raise hunger awareness.
Tuesday, March 31, 2015
4:30pm – 6:00pm
Connecticut State Capitol, Old Judiciary Room, 3rd Floor
Seating is limited, RSVP is required by March 25th to JFACThungerseder@gmail.com or (860)727-5789.
Seder led by Rabbi David Small, The Emanuel Synagogue and Reverend Dr. Shelley D. Best, President and CEO , The Conference of Churches
Please bring a donationÂ of canned food or a contribution to Mazon.
Seder partially funded by JCPA (Jewish Council for Public Affairs)
A message from our President, Ira Henowitz:
Dear Fellow Emanuelite,
We, The Emanuel Synagogue family, have much to be thankful for as we come into the final weeks of 2013. With over forty new mrembeÂ households joining our congregation in the past year and with beautiful newly renovated spaces to enjoy, we are building on our re-energized spirit and momentum to create an even stronger, more connected and engaged, inclusive, multi-generational sacred community. Fellow lay leaders and I are busy planning and working with our clergy and professional staff developing and implementing updated strategies with a creative and reinvigorated vision to be a leading, compelling vital center of Jewish life in Metro Hartford for the 21st century.
Sunday October 26, 2014
8:00am to 8:00pm (Leaving and returning to the back parking lot of the Emanuel Synagogue)
Cost: $45 per person includes the bus, tours and tips. Lunch is on your own.
Come along with us and tour the following places: Temple Emanu-El, Yeshiva University Museum, ZABARS
RSVP by October 12th by sending in your check and registration form to the Emanuel Synagogue.
Please call Audrey Yanofsky @ 860-690-6139 or Debbie Mehlman @ 860-232-2697 if you have any questions.
Click here forÂ Flyer and registration form for New York Bus Trip.
Honor the â€œnew year of treesâ€ by sending your kids to a place where they can really get their hands dirtyâ€”overnight camp!
You might even qualify for $1,000 grant towards summer camp!
At Jewish camp, your child will celebrate the joy of nature every day. Whether sheâ€™s practicing her diving skills, sharing stories around a campfire, or hiking through the hills, your camper will return home with a reinforced sense of wonder about the world around them (and some really cool new skills.)
Co-sponsored by Emanuel Sisterhood, Brotherhood, Minyonnaires, Emanuel’s Middle School and Beit Sefer Tichon HIgh School
Sunday, December 9, 2012
10:00 am.-12:00 noon
Silverman Auditorium, Emanuel Synagogue
Games, Booths, Giant Inflatable,
Pinball, Fun, Prizes & Food
For children of all ages!
Booth and food tickets available.
Net proceeds to benefit Emanuel Kadima and USY.
B’Yadeynu needs your help with our Annual Hanukkah Gifts for Soldiers Drive. For the past 8 years the social action committee has been sending Hanukkah packages to Jewish soldiers deployed overseas.Â We know it means a lot to the soldiers to receive these care packages from home. Please help us run another successful drive this year and let our soldiers know they are appreciated and not forgotten.
Please be sure that food items are kosher with hechsher (kosher certification).Â Please do NOT send liquids as we canâ€™t send them through the mail (i.e., no shampoo or juices boxes).Â Here are a few examples of what weâ€™ve sent in the past.
- Shabbat and Yahrzeit candles (in tin, no glass)
- Kosher matzah ball soup mix, latke mix
- Hanukkah candles, tin menorahs, foil wrapped chocolate gelt, dreidels
- Packets of fruits, nuts, snacks, hot and cold drink mixes, hot cereal mixes, protein bars, granola bars, cookies and snacks in individual bags
- Lip gloss, chapstick, wet naps, packages of Kleenex
- Books, new magazines, DVDs on Jewish topics/history
- Cards/notes and scenic posters are considered huge morale boosters!Â Cards written by children are especially appreciated!
- Gift cards: Visa, Mastercard, iTunes
- Laundry detergent in pod form (Tide preferred but any brand ok)
- Disinfectant/cleaning wipes
- Simple Human garbage bag size N heavyweight garbage bags:
- Finish Powerballs for the dishwasher (this brand and style only)
- They also need one Pur Advanced Water Faucet Filter Chrome FM-3700B and about 10 filters to fit it which are available on Amazon and elsewhere.
Call Risa Davidson, 860-236-8889 or Janet Wallans, 860-278-4596 if you have any questions.