Pesach begins with the First Seder, Friday night, April 3rd, 2015. It is time to get ready! We not only prepare our homes; we prepare ourselves. In the spirit of Pesach preparation, here is a helpful “to do list”:
1. Passover Fund: Make a donation to aid the hungry prior to Pesach. There is a strong Jewish tradition of giving Maot Hittim to provide food and assistance to those in need. Please join us in this important mitzvah. Please support the hungry even if you are not selling your chametz. Your contribution is needed and appreciated. To give online click on the “Donate” box to the right. Be sure to check other and put “Passover Fund” as where your want this donation to go.
2. Selling of Hametz: To empower me to sell your hametz, mail or bring the form to the Emanuel office by Thursday, April 2nd, or see me or Moshe Pinchover after minyan. Click here to download a Passover Selling Chametz Declaration.docx
3. House cleaning and searching out Hametz (leaven): It is appropriate to complete this process by Thursday evening, April 2nd. Search for Hametz Kits are available in the Religious School office and the Synagogue office. While you are cleaning out your cupboards, please think of donating non-perishable food items to the needy. Bring your contributions to the synagogue office by Thursday April 2nd. The B’Yadeynu Committee will distribute the donations.
4. Burning of Hametz: This symbolic burning of a few bits of hametz may be done (with precautions) at home, but please be aware that a small fire will be maintained for this purpose in the Emanuel parking lot on Friday, April 3rd , from 8:00 a.m. to 9:15 a.m.
5. Siyum B’Chor: Firstborn Jews fast on the day before Pesach or attend a siyyum, a celebration of the completion of a unit of Torah study. A siyyum will be held on Friday, April 3rd , at the conclusion of morning Minyan. Minyan begins at 7:00 a.m. The Siyyum ends at 8:00 a.m. and is followed by breakfast.
6. Seder Guests: Welcoming guests to the seder is a great mitzvah. Please contact Gail Rappoport [email protected] if you have room at your seder table for a guest/guests, or if you need an invitation for a seder/sedarim. We will do our discreet best to match hosts and guests.
7. Please note: that evening minyan will not meet on April 3rd and April 4th. A special Mincha service will meet at 12:30 pm, on those days. We encourage you to hold minyan at your seders. If you need to borrow siddurim, please contact Mr. Moshe Pinchover at [email protected]
8. Vote MERCAZ in the World Zionist Congress Elections! Click here to vote now!