Social Action (B’yadeynu) Committee
The Social Action/B’Yadeynu (“in our hands”) Committee reaches out to groups in need on local, national and international levels, often partnering with other synagogue and nonprofit agencies. B’Yadenu members also have the opportunity to bring forward their own ideas and chair projects based on personal interests.
Examples of annual and ongoing projects include:
- Food collection for: Foodshare, The Anja Rosenberg Kosher Food Pantry, and The West Hartford Food Pantry.
- Annual American Red Cross blood drive
- Lillian Harris Thanksgiving Turkey Drive.
- Holiday gift distribution to Jewish soldiers overseas.
- Hebrew Home monthly Friday night Shabbat services.
- Monthly produce sorting for Foodshare.
- Partnering with JFACT to plan the State Capitol’s annual Interfaith Hunger Seder
- Donation distribution from the annual Passover Fund.
- Education to raise awareness for both local and global situations such as the Yazidi genocide project Click for information
The B’yadeynu committee is represented on the Social Justice Task Force, Jewish Community Relations Council (JCRC) of the Jewish Federation of Greater Hartford and actively connects with other social action committees in our community.
Caring (Chesed) Committee
While B’Yadenu reaches out to the Jewish Community, Chesed Committee focuses internally on our Emanuel Synagogue congregants, offering help and support. Among the services Chesed provides are:
- Hanukkah, Purim and High Holiday baskets to college students and those who cannot get to synagogue to join us.
- Provide soup and challah for bereaved families
- Drop off food for families needing support during illness or other difficulties
- Cards/calls to our members
- Rides to Emanuel events and services
Please help Chesed fulfill its mission by letting us know who may need help, and volunteer help us serve each other. Please contact Ken Malley at 860-209-0674 or Linda Asmar at 860-206-0941
All Are Welcome to Bereavement Support Workshops
The Emanuel Synagogue along with the Chesed committee will host a number of support options to help those in our community struggling with loss. Highlights listed below, click Bereavement Support at The Emanuel for details on enrollment
Lotsa Helping Hands is an online tool to create a team of volunteers to help The Emanuel’s Chesed Committee give aid to others within our community and our B’Yadeynu Committee to help with social justice projects. Click to join our Lotsa team.