- Eleven months following the death of a parent or close relative, and
- On the Yahrzeit (anniversary), of the death of a parent or close relative. The date for observing Yahrzeit follows the Hebrew calendar, beginning with the evening service, and continues through the following morning and afternoon services. A tool for converting secular calendar dates to Hebrew dates can be found at: http://www.hebcal.com
Click Here: PRINT version with Hebrew transliteration and English translation.
Click Here: AUDIO version with Hebrew transliteration, English translation, and body movement instructions.
In addition to the recitation of the Mourner’s Kaddish, there are four memorial services following a death or on a Yahrzeit (anniversary), termed Yizkor services. Yizkor service is held on Yom Kippur, Pesah, Shavuot, and Sh’mini Atzeret. The Yizkor dates for 5777 (2017-2018) are:
- Yom Kippur, September 30, 2017/ 10 Tishre
- Sh’mini Atzeret: October 12, 2017/ 22 Tishre
- Pesah: April 7/ 22 Nisan
- Shavuot: May 21, 2018/ 7 Sivan
The Minyan Experience: 11 month journey of healing
A few years ago, several congregants began attending daily minyan to say kaddish for the recent loss of a parent. By attending minyan regularly, the individuals became a cohort, comfort and support for each other.
Click HERE to read more about their personal journey of healing minyan experience