Friday evening, Erev Shabbat:
Every Friday, we hold an intimate sunset service in the The Emanuel Synagogue Chapel.
In addition: The third Friday each month, Emanuel members conduct an Evening Service at Hebrew Health Care. Information: Pamela Garry
Twice annually we hold a Shabbat Under the Stars (pictured left), which incorporates an outdoor musical service in the Siegal Garden, accompanied by Shabbat dinner or Oneg (reception). For a schedule of Shabbat Service times, click here.
Shabbat Morning: Saturday morning service anchors our prayer week. Children, including those with special needs, are welcome in the main service, and are offered opportunities to participate:
– 9:00 am Main Sanctuary: Shacharit, “Torah at 10”, Sermon & Musaf.
– 9:00 am Chapel, select Saturdays*: Adult Learners Service
Making the Prayer Service Relevant
Starting in September, join us for Adult Learners’ service to explore current the relevance of ancient prayers. We will dive into the logistics of how Jews pray and why, explore the evolution of prayers, while considering a range of reflections on the function of prayer in our lives.Taught by Student Rabbi Leora Kling Perkins
Select Shabbat morning Dates: September 1, Oct 13, Nov 3, Dec 1, Feb 2, April 6, May 4.
9:00 am – 9:55 am, in The Chapel
CLICK for more details
– 11:50 am (approx) Service concludes: Children younger than B’nai Mitzvah age are invited to the bimah for Adon Olam, Kiddush (wine blessing), N’tilat Yadayim (hand wash blessing), and Motzi (bread blessing).
– 12 Noon (approx) Kiddush: We gather weekly for Kiddush as a congregation, and EVERYONE is invited! Open seating includes a buffet lunch. To sponsor a Kiddush, contact Event Coordinator Regina Miller
Shabbat Afternoon/Saturday Evening
- Mincha: Afternoon Mincha Service. Specialty classes beforehand are scheduled throughout the year.
- Maariv & Havdalah: Every Sat. evening, Maariv Service is recited followed by Havdalah, and the congregation stands in a circle ushering out Shabbat.
We are happy to celebrate special occasions – birthdays, anniversaries, trips to Israel, etc. – with an aliya to the Torah! If you would like to chant Torah, Haftarah or have an Aliyah, contact Ritual Director Moshe Pinchover (860) 236-1275. If you would like a part in the service, contact Hazzan Sanford Cohn, (860) 236-1275
Monthly Programming for Kids and Families on Shabbat!
Attending Shabbat services is a very important part of every child’s Jewish education! The most prepared Bnai Mitzvah students are those that regularly attend Shabbat, and become familiar with the service. Community building happens both in and outside of the classroom, and Shabbat is a wonderful opportunity to experience socializing together as a community.
- ChallahPalooza: In the Childhood Ctr, an interactive Shabbat playtime for preschoolers and parents w/ mini-service, songs, stories & games
- Mini Minyan for K-2nd: Led By Debbie Mehlman, featuring age appropriate siddur and fun interactive activities for families
- Jr. Congregation for grades 3 – 6: Age appropriate service includes fun activities to support learning and engagement