The Emanuel Synagogue is committed to providing our members with spiritual support, meaningful programs, and a beautiful well-maintained building. Annual giving, in addition to dues, is essential to the life of every synagogue, and your generous support helps ensure that The Emanuel continues into the future. Please consider a gift to any of our campaigns and funds outlined below.
For your convenience, you may make a fund contribution two ways:
The Emanuel Synagogue
Attn: Accounts Receivable, Donations, 160 Mohegan Drive, West Hartford CT 06117
List of Funds
The Funds listed below support specific programs:
- Art & Performance Funds:
- Art Fund: To purchase and maintain art throughout the building
- Beth Hillel, Paul & Libby Wolfberg Entertainment
- Beth Hillel Sless Music
- General Music
- Sharon Barshay
- Building & Grounds Funds:
- Beth Hillel Building
- Beth Hillel Needelman Library
- Beth Hillel/Emanuel Synagogue Library
- Biblical Garden
- Defibrillator Fund: To maintain onsite defibrillator, and to provide CPR and AED training to staff / volunteers
- Flower Fund: Provides fresh flowers for bimah.
- Green Building: Supports efforts to maintain the premises in the most ecologically friendly way possible, and to educate the congregation on ways to lower our carbon footprint.
- Macy Accessibility Fund: For maintaining equipment for handicap facility access
- Siegal Garden
- Discretionary Funds
- Rabbi Small
- Rabbi Lazowski
- Cantor Cohn
- Ritual Director (Moshe Pinchover)
- Executive Director (Joyce Hyde)
- Dir. of Youth & Family Learning (Barbara Fink)
- Education Funds:
- Bein Scholar in Residence: To bring scholars to The Emanuel for special programs.
- Beth Hillel Edward N. Bromberg Ritual Education Memorial
- Beth Hillel Joy Risa Berman Fund
- Beth Hillel/Emanuel Rabbi Lazowski Adult Education: For current and new lifelong learning programs
- Joey Azimov Special Needs: For Special Needs Religious Education
- Religious School: Includes the Parent Teacher Organization Fund
- Torat Hayim
- General Fund
- Memorial Funds:
- Beth Hillel Memorial Plaque Fund
- Beth Hillel Honorials & Memorials
- Scholarship Funds: The following below provides scholarships for Emanuel youth to participate in formal/informal youth education, including Camp and trips to Israel.
- Beth Hillel Ethel Karp Memorial Fund
- Beth Hillel Feigenbaum, Jonathan Lodge
- Beth Hillel Gershenowitz
- Beth Hillel Post Family
- Beth Hillel Rebecca Schwartz Lazowski Memorial
- Beth Hillel Sam Rosenthal
- Camp Ramah
- General Scholarship
- Special Designation Funds:
- Caring Committee Fund: For activities such as delivering gifts to home-bound members and holiday packages to college students.
- Emanuel/Beth Hillel Synagogue Prayer Book Fund: for the purchase / replacement of congregation prayer books and other ritual items.
- Beth Hillel Abe Morrison Shabbat Dinner
- Beth Hillel Alex B. Lebed Family
- Minyonaires: Supports activities of the Minyonaires
- Friday Night
- Sisterhood Tribute: Supports the ongoing work of The Emanuel Sisterhood, including kitchen maintenance
- Social Action /B’yadeynu: For world emergency response; support social justice, ethics, and human relation programming.
- Torah Repair: Used to ensure our Torahs remain in good repair.
- Youth Activities: To support the activities of Kadima (pre-teen) & USY (teen) youth groups
The Emanuel Endowment exists to provide the synagogue operating funds by distributing a portion of the fund earnings annually. With over $2 million in principal, the Endowment provides over $80,000 in operating funds each year. Donations to the Endowment are added to the existing balance, and as the principal grows, the distributions to the operating budget increase, providing a gift to the synagogue year after year.
Anyone may participate in endowment giving at any level. The Emanuel Endowment consists of a:
- General Endowment Fund, and
- Named Endowment Funds, which include:
Non-Restricted Named Funds: $1000 minimum contribution to establish, the income generated is used for general purposes where the need is the greatest, as determined by our Board of Trustees.
Special Purpose Named Endowment Funds: $5,000 minimum contribution to establish, payable over three years. Contributions/and income generated is used for a special dedicated purpose.
For more details and a current list of endowment funds click: 2018 Emanuel Endowment Report
Other Ways to Give at The Emanuel
Kol Nidre Annual Giving Appeal: An annual member appeal prior to the High Holy Days is generously supported by all congregants. Pledge cards are mailed with High Holy Day tickets to current members. You may make your pledge by returning the completed card OR pay online.
Aim Chai: An endowment campaign to strengthen and sustain the life of Greater Hartford’s Jewish community. Aim Chai is a collaboration among the Jewish Community Foundation of Greater Hartford, Jewish Federation of Greater Hartford, The Emanuel, and 25 other community partners. CLICK to read more about current Aim Chai campaign efforts.
Planned Legacy Giving: Support the future of our Jewish community and The Emanuel Synagogue via: Will or Trust bequest, Designated or Donor Advised, Life insurance, Charitable gift annuity or Retirement Asset. Contact [email protected]
Discretionary: Intended to support programs that benefit the congregation, not for normal operating expenses or personal use. Rabbi Small, Rabbi Lazowski, Hazzan Cohn, Ritual Director Moshe Pinchover, and Barbara Fink each have a discretionary fund.
Gift Cards: A variety of options available! Easier than shopping in – store, while supporting the synagogue with % back, at no additional cost to you. Click Here, for details on available cards and to download an order form. Cards also may be purchased at the Synagogue during Sisterhood & Brotherhood meetings, & Sundays at the Religious School entrance.
Permanent Sanctuary Seats
Donation includes name plate designating your permanent seat in The Emanuel Sanctuary for all high holidays. For information to reserve your favorite spot, contact: Lisa Lenkiewicz
For your convenience, you can make a contribution by:
The Emanuel Synagogue
Attn: Accounts Receivable, Donations
160 Mohegan Drive, West Hartford CT 06117