The Emanuel Synagogue is committed to providing our members with spiritual support, meaningful programs, and a beautiful well-maintained building. Annual giving, in addition to dues, is essential to the life of every synagogue, and your generous support helps ensure that The Emanuel continues into the future. Please consider a gift to any of our campaigns and funds outlined below.
Ways to Give at The Emanuel
Kol Nidre Annual Giving Appeal:
An annual member appeal before the High Holy Days is generously supported by all congregants. Pledge cards are included with High Holy Day tickets, and you can help us by making your pledge as soon as possible by returning the completed card OR pay online.
Aim Chai: An endowment campaign to strengthen and sustain the life of Greater Hartford’s Jewish community, Aim Chai is a collaboration among the Jewish Community Foundation of Greater Hartford, Jewish Federation of Greater Hartford, and more than 25 partners including The Emanuel Synagogue. CLICK to read more about current Aim Chai campaign efforts
Planned Legacy Giving: Support the future of our Jewish community and The Emanuel Synagogue via: Will or Trust bequest, Designated or Donor Advised, Life insurance, Charitable gift annuity or Retirement Asset. Contact Naomi.Kleinman@gmail.com
Discretionary: Intended for charitable purposes for programs that benefit the congregation, but not for normal operating expenses or personal use. Rabbi Small, Rabbi Lazowski, Hazzan Cohn, Ritual Director Moshe Pinchover, and Director of Congregational Learning each have a discretionary fund.
Gift Cards: More than 25 different cards available! Easier than shopping in – store, while supporting the synagogue with 3% back, at no additional cost to you. Click Here, for details on available cards and to download an order form. Cards also may be purchased at the Synagogue during Sisterhood & Brotherhood meetings, & Sundays at the Religious School entrance.
SPECIAL Fundraising Opportunities
Torah Cover Project
This image from Artist Jeanette Kuvin Oren depicts our new Torah Covers displayed in our Sanctuary. The covers feature a pomegranate tree motif with Hebrew words incorporated into the branches expressing Jewish values meaningful to our Emanuel family. A variety of Torah Cover dedication options available. CLICK here for details.
Permanent Sanctuary Seats
Donation includes name plate designating your permanent seat in The Emanuel Sanctuary for all high holidays. For information to reserve your favorite spot, contact: Lisa Lenkiewicz
Click unFUNDRAISER for details
Special Designation Funds:
Contributions toward supporting specific programs:
- Adult Education: For current and new lifelong learning programs; including: General Adult Education Fund
- Bein Scholar in Residence Fund to bring in scholars for weekend programming.
- Art Fund: To purchase and maintain art throughout the building.
- Accessibility Fund: For maintaining equipment necessary for handicap facility access
- Irma and Neil Macy Fund
- B’yadeynu/Social Action Fund: For response to world emergencies, and to support social justice, ethics, and human relation programming.
- Caring Committee Fund: Supporting activities such as: delivering gifts to home-bound members and holiday packages to college students.
- Congregation Torah Cover Fund: Dedication of Congregation Torah Cover in Memory of Sam Goodman
- Defibrillator Fund: To maintain our onsite defibrillator, and to provide CPR and AED training to staff / volunteers
- Flower Fund: Provides fresh flowers for bimah.
- Garden Funds: To maintain The Emanuel gardens, includes: General Garden Fund, Biblical Garden Fund & Siegal Garden Fund (Outside of Auditorium)
- Green Building Fund: Supports efforts to lower the carbon footprint of The Emanuel building and maintain the premises in the most ecologically friendly way as possible. Funds may also be used to educate the congregation on issues of ecology.
- Library Fund: Supports the work of our librarian and Library Committee in acquiring new publications.
- Minyonaires: Supports activities of the Minyonaires.
- Music: Provides funding for Cantor and Music Committee to purchase music and underwrite concerts, includes a General Music Fund and the Sharon Barshay Music Fund to support the annual Shabbat evening service in memory of Sharon Barshay
- Prayer Book: A general fund for the purchase / replacement of congregation prayer books and other ritual items.
- Religious School: Including: Joey Azimova Fund for Special Needs Religious Education, and the Parent Teacher Organization Fund
- Scholarship: Provides scholarships for The Emanuel youth to participate in formal and informal youth education, including Camp Ramah and trips to Israel.
- Sisterhood Funds
- Sisterhood Torah Fund: A National Women’s League project to support the work of the Jewish Theological Seminary in New York City.
- Sisterhood Tribute Fund: Supports the ongoing work of The Emanuel Sisterhood, including kitchen maintenance.
- Torah Repair: A general fund to ensures our Torahs remain in good repair.
- Youth Activities: A general fund to support the activities of Kadima (pre-teen) and USY (teen) youth groups.
The Emanuel Endowment exists to provide operating funds to the synagogue by distributing a portion of the fund earnings annually. The Endowment has over $2 million in principal and provides over $80,000 in operating funds each year. Donations to the Endowment are added to the existing balances and as the principal grows, the distributions to the operating budget grow, providing a gift to the synagogue year after year.
The Emanuel Endowment consists of a number of family funds, but also has several other funds making it easy for anyone to participate in endowment giving at any level.
- Non-Restricted Named Funds can be established with a minimum contribution of $1,000. Income generated is used for general purposes. Contributions to this fund are used where the need is greatest, as determined by our Board of Trustees.
- Special Purpose Named Endowment Funds can be established with a minimum contribution of $5,000 (payable over three years). Income generated is used for a dedicated purpose.
For a current list of endowment funds download the Emanuel Endowment Report 2017.
For your convenience, you can make a contribution by:
The Emanuel Synagogue
Attn: Accounts Receivable, Donations
160 Mohegan Drive, West Hartford CT 06117