Welcome! We hope you encounter an inclusive and welcoming environment at “the Emanuel.” The Emanuel Synagogue welcomes people of all backgrounds. We fully support the participation of families who nourish Jewish identity in their children.
Intermarried Emanuel clergy and congregants greatly appreciate the role of the spouses and partners of different backgrounds in encouraging his or her child’s Jewish identity.
- A parent of a different background enjoys an active role in life cycle events and has full access to all synagogue programs as well as pastoral support and personal attention from our clergy.
- Spouses and partners of different backgrounds are warmly included in the synagogue family.
- We welcome all school-age children to be nourished by our religious school. To become a Bar/Bat Mitzvah at The Emanuel, the children must have a Jewish mother or have had a traditional conversion. Rabbi Small welcomes discussion about conversion.
- Adult children, grandchildren and descendants of intermarried families are welcomed here.
Jews by choice are embraced.
Singles and single parent families Our synagogue community includes many singles both with and without children. Singles are an integral part of our community.
LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning) Friendly We welcome people of all sexual orientations. A religious “bill of rights” is an integral part of our synagogue by-laws. Click here for our statement on equality in synagogue life.
Family-Friendly Congregation Parents may bring children into the sanctuary. There are changing tables in women’s and men’s restrooms.
Children and adults with special needs The Emanuel excels in support for children and adults with special needs. Our award-winning resource room is a key component of our religious school.
Physically challenged We aim to provide full access for All and remove obstacles to participation in our worship services and communal activities. In keeping with this commitment, we offer:
- Priority handicapped parking spaces in our front driveway and main parking lot
- Curb cuts and ramps for wheelchairs, walkers and strollers in the front entrance and level access in our back entrance
- Powered doors at front and back entrances
- Priority seating space in the Main Sanctuary for people with wheelchairs, walkers or strollers
- Level access in our main lobbies, corridors, Sanctuary, Social Halls and patios
- A permanent ramp adjacent to the Main Sanctuary bimah (stage) allowing access for wheelchairs and walkers
- Wheelchair-accessible restrooms on the main level
- State-of-the-art sound system in the main sanctuary and auditoriums
Headsets for the hearing impaired
- Large print prayer books available in the Main Sanctuary and Chapel
- Upgraded lighting
- Open seating that allows people to find the best spot for them to feel engaged and participate
- Need Assistance? Ask our ushers and greeters.
Questions? Please contact Beth Katten, Chairperson of the Inclusion Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.