Welcome! We strive to offer an inclusive and welcoming environment at “the Emanuel,” and welcome people of all backgrounds. We fully support the participation of families who nourish Jewish identity in their children, and family unit. A religious “bill of rights” is an integral part of our synagogue by-laws.
Jews by choice are embraced.
Intermarried Emanuel clergy and congregants greatly appreciate the role of the spouses and partners of different backgrounds in encouraging his or her family’s Jewish identity.
- Spouses and partners of different backgrounds are warmly included in the synagogue family, and are encouraged to take an active role in life cycle events and has full access to all synagogue programs as well as pastoral support and personal attention from our clergy.
- We welcome all school-age children to be nourished by our religious school, and the parent from a different background is encouraged to participate. To become a Bar/Bat Mitzvah at The Emanuel, the children must have a Jewish mother or have had a traditional conversion. Rabbi Small welcomes discussion about conversion.
- Adult children, grandchildren and descendants of intermarried families are welcomed here.
Singles and single parent families Our synagogue community includes many singles both with and without children. Singles are an integral part of our community.
LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning) Friendly We welcome people of all sexual orientations. Click here for our LGBTQ equality statement
Family-Friendly Congregation Parents may bring children into the sanctuary. Changing tables are provided in both the women’s and men’s restrooms.
Children and adults with special needs The Emanuel excels in support for children and adults with special needs. Our award-winning resource room is a key component of our religious school.
Physically challenged We aim to provide full access for All and remove obstacles to participation in our worship services and communal activities. In keeping with this commitment, we offer:
- Priority handicapped parking spaces in our main parking lot
- Front entrance curb cuts and ramps for wheelchairs, walkers and strollers; level back entrance access
- Powered doors at front and back entrances
- Priority seating space in the Main Sanctuary for people with wheelchairs, walkers or strollers
- Level access in our main lobbies, corridors, Sanctuary, Social Halls and patios
- A permanent ramp adjacent to the Main Sanctuary bimah (stage)
- Wheelchair-accessible restrooms on the main level
- State-of-the-art sound system in the Main sanctuary and auditoriums with headsets available
- Large print prayer books available in the Main Sanctuary and Chapel
- Upgraded lighting
- Open seating that allows people to find the best spot for them to feel engaged and participate
Need Assistance? Just ask our ushers and greeters, they are here to help!
Questions? Please Email Beth Katten, Chairperson of the Inclusion Committee